Monday, November 20, 2006

Morten is here.. Etosha is there...

Morten- my friend from Norway came a week ago! (we took PE at the teacher-college together, and he’s just a friend… ) It’s great to have somebody from home coming.. Nice to show him around and nice to have somebody to talk norvegian to!! The week have been different… The schools have started their exams, so now the kids are busy. We had two trips to the schoolyard for after-school sport, whereby NOBODY showed up..That’s just how it goes this time of year… but we’ll try again.. and again.

Friday afternoon we went for ETOSHA- the biggest national-park in Namibia. We went to see the animals and also to enjoy ourself with my friends Jonatan and Fransiena. We had a great weekend!

Morten became quite sceptic when he realised how you travel in Namibia. We were waiting for almost two hours at the gas-station before we got a ride—A bucky whereby we were placed in the back. Luckily there were a mattress, so it wasn’t as painful as it could have been! When we arrived Etosha after 5,5h we decided to go for the free accommodation Jonatan had arranged for us. Again: Morten Sceptic! (He’s used to a travelling-budget far bigger then a regular backpacker would have had… read. Accommodation which includes good beds, taxibills far over the normal, eating out every night etc.) All we had was our sleeping-bags, Morten one of those thin-thin ones.. and we had to sleep at a classroom-floor!! A cement one.. Quite funny, at least I got a pillow from one of the girls - so I slept like… not an angel- but good.. Morten on the other hand… had a hard- but ok night. (The second night we rented rooms at the lodge…!!)

Anyway. Etosha = Animals!I finally saw my Elephants, my giraffes, my lions, my zebras, my springboks and so on… It was a great time. Maybe we didn’t see as many animals as we expected, BUT we saw 12(!) lions and as long as I got my elephant everything is fine! J Trust me: to see an elephant close by like this is different from those dirty, old, abused elephants you find in a circus!!! Amazing how big they are… and amazing how bad skin they have.. Some moisturizing lotion wouldn’t be a bad suggestion for these poor fellows…!

After 5hours in the park- we were satisfied and decided to ENJOY the rest of the day by the pool!! And all of you know: Sun, Blue Sky, Good Friends, Pool and Beer = PERFECT. And this time was not an exception… J I’ll try to put out pictures that can tell more than my poor words.

Lena.

No comments: